Lovely words from an unknown source


A few years back, I was going through some of my fathers books while he was cleaning the book cupboards.
I was sitting on the floor , leaning onto the wall next to where my father sat .
There were piles of books surrounding me. And I was just randomly looking at the books my hands could reach.
Inside one of the books, I found this little old piece of paper which had words typewritten into it.
It was the size of a page from a small notebook. It was turned yellow with bright yellow patches everywhere, especially on the edges .
I got really excited because it was one of those rare moments where I get to see type written letters .
The letters were beautifully carved in by the typewriter. Perfectly encrypted on the thick and slightly yellowish piece of paper.
Now the most fascinating thing was that it had a description to me sounded very deep and meaningful. It was philosophical. And it meant alot to me.
I asked my father the paper was his.If he typewrote it. He said no. Probably grandfathers’ we both guessed together.
However, both of us were well aware that my grandfather was never a fan of philosophy or psychology. Never did my father have any of my grand fathers books or documents.
Neither was he ever an owner of a typewriter.
The origin of the writer still remains a mystery.Did one of my family members write it? Or is this some kind of a famous saying by a renowned figure that I do not know of?
I still have it with me inside my book. Saved and well protected.
It is so beautiful that I though it is worth sharing.
So, here goes:
“Beings possessing a consciousness which passes through certain well defined phases or states which we know as emotions , desires, moods and so forth. At first sight indeed consciousness appears to consists of the successions of such states each of which is a single an independent entity the states being strung together like beads on a necklace. When we admit such we overlook the fact that it changes even while it persists. Take the most stable of internal states the visual perception of a motionless object. The object may remain the same.. I may look at from the same side, at the same angle, in the same light, nevertheless the vision I now have of it differs from that which I have just just had, even if only because the one is an instant older than the other. My memory is there which conveys something of the past into the present.There is no feeling, no idea, no volition which is not undergoing change at every moment. If a mental state ceased to vary, its duration would cease to follow. If our existence were composed of separate states with an impassive ego to unit them for us there would be no duration. For an ego which does not change , does not endure and a psychic state which remains the same so long as it is not replaced by the following state does not endure either.
We are beings who endure not through change but by change”

Comments